LOGO

LOGO

Friday, May 27, 2011

Modern Pastry, Not So Modern Recipes

Despite the name, modern pastry uses quite old and traditional recipes... thank goodness for that! I have been to Mike's Pastry many times so I wanted to try out Modern. I walked in with friends and family. Modern is much smaller than mikes and also has a much smaller selection. There also wasn't nearly as long of a line that Mike's typically has. I would say not off to a great start. We ordered a linzer tart, well i should say attempted because they dont have those nor knew what I was talking about. I then proceeded to order a rainbow cookie (3 layered cookie red, yellow and green). We also ordered a couple of lace cookies and a canolli (ricotta filling with chocolate chips). Now for the tasting review: I have eaten a fare share of rainbow cookies and these were not good. The lace cookies were okay. However, the canolli was fantastic and I am not one for canollis but there was nothing not to like. 
Side note: I love these cookies and have made them twice; it was quite the undertaking but they came out pretty good. I would also consider myself a rainbow cookie connoisseur. I buy them everywhere I go.

Next time I am in the North end, I will probably go to Mike's Pastry unless I am craving a cannoli and then I am crossing the street and walking into Modern.

No comments:

Post a Comment