LOGO

LOGO

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

28 Degrees and Beignets

Since I recently started my blog and want to share previous dining experiences with you some of the next few entries may be from a while ago.


My boyfriend and I went to 28 degrees, in the South End, to celebrate Valentine's Day. They have two types of seating: tables and chairs along the perimeter as well as separate lounges with couches and low tables. We were seated in one of the lounge areas - I'm not sure how they choose who sits where but we were very happy to be sat there. It was more romantic and intimate and it also made us feel young and hip - which I like to think we are.

Now, on to the food. We ordered a salad to start and then a side of truffled parmesan fries that comes with two dipping sauces - they were really good. For an entree, I then ordered the salmon, shocker... it was cooked perfectly. The way the restaurant is organized they assume you are going to share everything so the entrees come out separately. However, my boyfriend ordered surf and turf (lobster and filet) which I don't eat so that was a downside but did give me time to digest and prepare for dessert. Another negative, was that the tables are really small and since we ordered a decent amount of food we had to constantly re-organize our plates and glasses. 



For dessert we ordered their beignets which were filled with jam. If you don't know what a beignet is, Im going to let you know. It is a french pastry - it a dough thats fried and usually topped with powdered sugar and can be filled with a jam. Its kind of like a munchkin but the shape can vary. The first time I had beignets was in New Orleans last year at Cafe Du Monde.... they were amazing and delicious. I you venture to New Orleans you must stop by for cappuccino and beignets.  Since I loved them so much I had to buy a box of the mix so I could make it at home; this turned into quite an adventure. I made them of course with my boyfriend (if you can't tell by now, we cook/ bake together a lot) and set off every smoke detector in the apartment. Who knew you had to keep a close eye on hot oil. We did however, make them again and were much more successful! 


Sorry about the tangent, back to the restaurant. I know this may sound odd, but the bathrooms were really nice and modern - hard to explain but if you go to 28 degrees make sure to stop in the lu.


The atmosphere, service and food were amazing. I rate it 4.5 stars out of 5 stars


** Keep in mind the menu has varied slightly

No comments:

Post a Comment